Sunday, May 24, 2009

Home from Georgia

We had a great visit with my mom (Mommom) and Grandpa Max in Georgia this past weekend. My grandparents drove down from Pennsylvania and were able to meet Mary Ellen for the first time. It was so precious and rare that we were all able to be together like that. My sister and her fiance, Sean, came, too, and it truly was a nice weekend. Of course my grandparents - GiGi and Grandpop - absolutely adored MEC. Who wouldn't?

I was a little nervous about the car ride. Okay, I was a nervous wreck. The trip is about 5 hours and I just couldn't imagine keeping Mary Ellen in the car that long without her flipping out. To make things worse, our portable DVD player "busted" right before leaving town. Fortunately, my mother-in-law found the receipt from last Christmas (they can find anything, I swear) and was able to exchange the DVD player for one that works. Well, Brannon installs the thing Thursday night, only for me to find out Friday morning that it does not work. I'm freaking out by this point because if little Miss Mary Ellen does not get to watch her Wiggles on the way to Georgia, I just didn't know what we were going to do.

I left work early on Friday and took my car to Advanced Auto thinking it was a blown fuse.

Nope.

Fuses are good.

By this time there was nothing else to do. We were leaving for Georgia by noon on that day and I came to accept that we were gonna have to deal with the drive the old fashion way - you know, before portable DVD players, cell phones, texting, and portable video games. To think of it! This is tragic I must say!

Brannon pulls into the driveway and I tell him of the awful DVD news. Brannon simply opens up the back door to the car, takes a quick look-see at the DVD player, pushes something and says, "There. It works."

What?

Apparently, nervous mommies can't grasp the concept of trying the ON/OFF BUTTON!!!!! This is so embarrassing, but too funny not to share. I went through all that panic and mayhem, and I simply forgot to turn the thing on! So now I'm thinking nothing was wrong with the old player that we took back to the store.

Oops!

We were able to watch the Wiggles and Curious George and Mary Ellen was and angel - both to and fro. She was such a good girl. She never fussed, not once! We played puppet show, read stories and snacked the whole way. It was kind of fun!

Next trip, however, I'll be sure to check the on/off button. I make my parents so proud. LOL!

3 comments:

Wiregrass Travel said...

Haha I think that fits the two of you perfectly though. You the hyper-active, this must work or else and Brannon, Mr cool all the time, hey its fixed guy.

Judy Maxwell said...

Oh, how often we overlook the obvious when seeking solutions to our problems.
I am proud of you, daughter. Not because you did not push the on button, but because you found a way to laugh at yourself and learn from your "mistake."

I love you lots!!!

xoxo
Mom

Lindsey said...

Jeremy told me about this so I'm just now getting around to actually reading your post. Hilarious! Sounds like something I would do.

Reflections...

Reflections...
I wonder what they are deep in thought about!

Sweet Baby

Sweet Baby
Mary Ellen wore this dress for Baby Dedication. She also wore this the day she came home from the hospital.