Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Da Da Da Da....

"Momma. Say Momma. M-o-m-m-a!"

"Da."

"Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. Mommy!"

"Do..Doy....Doy...Da."

"No. I'm Momma. Momma. Say it...puulleeez!"

".....Da."

This is a typical daily conversation between Mary Ellen and I. Oh, alright. It's not a conversation, but me begging our 15-month-old to say my name. I cannot wait for the day that she utters a word that does not begin with the letter "D," preferably "Momma" or "Ma." The sound of the letter "D" is her sound of choice. Every word that she attempts to say usually ends up with a hard D on the front. Her favorite word is "Doy," pronounced like "boy." I don't know where this came from or what it means, but she LOVES it. Everything is "doy, doy, doy." It is adorable, but I'm ready for my little girl to expand her repertoire.

I have to admit that I have been a little concerned over the past couple of weeks about Mary Ellen's speech, or lack there of it. I read - probably too much - information that says she should know at least a dozen words by now, and at least two dozen by 18 months.

Huh?

Mary Ellen knows "Doy."

She has started saying "Do" (pronounced like "go") whenever we let the dog outside to run, and I think she is beginning to say "Duice" for juice. She can say Dada, as well, but I'm tired of that. I'm ready for her to look at me and yell "MOMMA!"

Friends and parents tell me not to worry, that Mary Ellen is just taking a little longer to develop in this area. I hope they are right. I started talking to her as much as I can, but I feel that I am saying so much as it is. I started reading to her more, even if she is playing and not sitting on my lap. A good friend suggested this method. It can't hurt, plus I love to read to my girl.

We have a 15-month check-up soon and I cannot wait to bombard the doc with many developmental questions. I know deep down inside this is just Mary Ellen's way. She has always been a little slow to develop, and this has truly never bothered me. I just want to make sure that if there is something I can be doing to help her along, then I want to know what that "something" is.

Until then, I will continue with my pleading and Mary Ellen will continue assigning "D" sounds/words to different objects. She (and I) will get it one day.

Doy!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

As your friend and as an SLP, I am telling you not to worry! I will let you know if you ever should. :)
The best thing you can do for her is talk about everything ya'll do, describe objects, etc. And read, read, read! In case you haven't already, as a parent and a teacher, you should read The Read Alound Handbook by Jim Trelease. B

Lindsey said...

Also, children begin to say words at around 12 months and don't usually put two words together until 24 months! Now, she should understand more than she is saying b/c receptive language develops ahead of expressive language. Please go here:

http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/chart.htm

Ok, I will stop being an SLP now!

Reflections...

Reflections...
I wonder what they are deep in thought about!

Sweet Baby

Sweet Baby
Mary Ellen wore this dress for Baby Dedication. She also wore this the day she came home from the hospital.