Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Frugal Shopper

I'm not sure if I like to shop. I like looking at clothes and household decor sometimes, but I don't get particularly excited to try on clothes or 50 pairs of shoes. In fact, that's just downright dreadful. My mom tells me when I was younger, she couldn't stand to take me along when she shopped. I would whine the entire time and tell her "my legs hurt." In fairness, my legs were the size of chopsticks and standing on them for more than 30 minutes was pushing it. These babies weren't made for all-day shopping excursions. I still don't like to shop all day, unless I have a pocket full of cash that is free from any strings. When does that ever happen?


I'm the person who will walk around the department store with items hand for an eternity. Then one by one the items return to their homes on the racks. I end up feeling way too guilty about buying that I just can't do it. The guilt outweighs the want. I'm a salesperson's nightmare.


If an item or two does make it home with me, buyer's remorse usually sets in the next day, after the shopper's high wears off. I am getting a bit better at this. I have learned not to beat myself up as much, especially if I find a heck of a deal. The bottom line is, I don't like to spend. I'm frugal, probably borderline cheap. I was always like this. I remember saving my coins and allowances as a child, only to have my older sister beg me for some cash because the girl never could hold on to a penny.


"You got holes in your pockets, Michelle," my parents would say.


I know I should loosen up a bit, but I don't like the feeling of being strapped for cash. Been there done that for way too many years. Living and surviving on your own is tough folks. I really did eat hot dogs and Ramen noodles for weeks at a time. I couldn't afford anything else. I remember wearing clothes that were too big or too little. I couldn't furnish my first apartment until months after moving in. I had to say "no" often to friends asking me to go see a movie or go out to eat. Those were luxuries I had to save up for.


When I lived in Florida, my mom found a great web site called The Dollar Stretcher that offered some great tips. The site is still up and running and has grown. Google it. It offers sound money-saving advice from people who like and need to save. Check it out.


Now that I've made myself sound really, really cheap, please note that Brannon and I are working really hard to get out of debt - completely. It is our dream to one day be mortgage free and student-loan free, and not 30 years from now. This means making that dollar stretch.

(I'm not eating Ramen noodles this time, however. Sacrificing health and sanity is not an option).


As Dave Ramsey says, "Live like no other today so that one day you can live like no other."


I love it!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I wish I was more frugal. I'm trying to be better I am a bargain shopper though and typically don't buy things that aren't on sale. (clothes, shoes, etc.) But if I have money, it's burning a hole in my pocket! And I blow it on useless stuff.
And I was the child who always loved to go shopping. So I guess it does start in childhood!
I need to learn your secrets of restraint!

Judy Maxwell said...

I once saved every penny I earned baby sitting. I rolled the money up in a tight cylinder and stuffed the roll into a long, tall empty olive jar. I took it with me on family trips, but rarely spent any of it.On one trip my parents car broke down, and they had no cash. I walked with them to a nearby gas station. Imagine their embarassment when they had to ask me in front of the tow truck guy, if I could pay him from my olive jar!

Ann-Marie said...

ahhh, so that's where i get my money "savvy" saving techniques from.

Reflections...

Reflections...
I wonder what they are deep in thought about!

Sweet Baby

Sweet Baby
Mary Ellen wore this dress for Baby Dedication. She also wore this the day she came home from the hospital.