Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Making Memories

I love the term scrapbooking. I love how we use it as a verb and when you say it, everyone knows exactly what you are talking about, whether or not they, too, scrapbook. I first dabbled with scrapbooking a few years ago. I wasn't any good, at least not compared to some of the fancy smancy pages you see hanging in scrapbook studios today. In fact, I didn't know what I was doing. I'd find something neat to paste or tape in there and I'd just smack it down on the page. There was no planning. No layout. Just impulse. It was pretty sloppy.

I'm still not as good as some. Many people just blow me away at their skill of scrapbooking. I just do not have that much patience to take days to complete one page. I have to move on. There are just too many memories to record. I have gotten better, however, and most of that has to do with maturity and better finances. By the way, scrapbooking is EXPENSIVE! Too expensive. It's ridiculous really. I often find, make or invent my own embellishments. I refuse to pay $5 for a tiny bow or charm. Please.
Anyway, I have been working on a baby album for Mary Ellen. I am having the most fun with it. But the best part is enclosing small pieces of scripture on different pages for her to read when she is older. I want her to know that her life - her home - was surrounded by the Word and the Spirit of Christ since the day she was born...and before. I want her to know that when I was thinking of her, I was thinking of God. When I was creating these pages for her, I was creating for God. When I was praying for her, I was praying to God. I want her to know that they go together - she and Christ. I want her to know that her life - our family life - was filled with the joy a family can only experience through the love of Christ. I am so excited to present this book to her one day, to read it to her and to have her truly understand what it means to be blessed and to have His joy.

That is if I don't ruin her life before hand. (just kidding, ha)

I posted some pages for you to check out. Some pages are still works in progress, and please excuse the glare. A photographer I am not. But you get the idea.



Here are some random pics that have nothing to do with scrapbooking.....
Mary Ellen will eat absolutely anything....even a nasty lemon.


Mary Ellen reading...well, in one syllable words.

Mary Ellen loves TV. I mean really loves it. Being the good, responsible parents that we are, we move her when she gets that close to the TV... sometimes.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Your pages look great! I am so not creative in that way. And your right, it is expensive. Jeremy's sister does it. Well, she hasn't in a while since she has 3 kids now! Anyway, I might have to look into digital scrapbooking one day.
The pictures of Mary Ellen are cute!
Btw, what were you doing up at 4:20to post this?

Reflections...

Reflections...
I wonder what they are deep in thought about!

Sweet Baby

Sweet Baby
Mary Ellen wore this dress for Baby Dedication. She also wore this the day she came home from the hospital.