Thursday, November 20, 2008

Birthday Slash Christmas Slash Disco Tree

I told you I was putting up our tree early, and yes, I decorated it in pink and green colors to coordinate with MEC's first birthday party this Sunday. It is not as full as I usually like my tree to be, but I had to make due because I didn't necessarily have an attic full of pink and chartreuse green Christmas decor, you know what I'm saying. But I think it turned out really cute with what I had. I used green netting and wrapped it in and out of the branches. I used pink and green berries to tuck in between branches, several shiny hot pink disco ball-type ornaments and green and pink ribbon for the topper. Brannon even thought it turned out pretty darn cute.

We have had this artificial tree for the past five years and it is the only Christmas tree Brannon and I have ever used. We first acquired the tree for free from Pat's Florist Shop in Tuscaloosa. I used to work for Pat who had a bad habit of buying new prelit Christmas trees and quickly discarding the old. Well this particular tree had 700 lights attached to it, but not one of them worked. Pat was going to throw this poor tree away when I spoke up and said I would provide it with a good home. Because Brannon and I lived on very little money during the first couple of years of our marriage, he quickly drove to Pat's shop and threw the tree in his car, took it home, and spent an entire weekend plucking the embedded lights off the darn tree. His hands were so chapped and bruised, but he did it!

Today the tree leans horribly and has uneven branches at the bottom. It truly is becoming a ridiculous looking tree, but we just can't seem to part with it. We put it up year after year so proudly, and figure out new ways to rig it so it won't lean so badly. And you know what is so funny? The pieces of plastic the held the lights to the branches still fall out of the tree - five years later! Next year we promise to buy a live tree. I hope. We'll see. It's kind of sad.

The following are a couple of pics of the top of the tree and one of the ornaments. I can't wait to see some of your holiday decorations and stories that go with them. Please share with us on your blogs friends and family! This is the perfect time to share your traditions and stories.

Love you all!



5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Well, even though it is not a traditional tree, it is still very pretty! I like it. You did a wonderful job decorating. I think that if I just had tons of money (and a much bigger house!) I would do a tree in every room and have different themes going. That would be fun. B/c wouldn't that pink and green tree look cute in a little girl's room? :)

Ann-Marie said...

I have a friend in Tuscaloosa who does put a tree in every room!!!!! Each tree is filled with ornaments of different themes. She has one tree dedicated to John Deere. Somehow, it still looks so pretty. It is very beautiful, but A LOT of work.

Denise said...

I love it....so cute....Maybe you should come decorate mine when we get it....you are good.

Judy Strausbaugh said...

Beatiful job, Ann-Marie! You are sooo talented and resourceful. I'm taking some tips from you, and now I can't wait to do MY tree. I emphasize my because this will be the first Christmas I actually decorate the main tree with a THEME. I've always wanted to do that. When I was a young mom, the theme was my kids; we made ornaments -- clothespins into reindeer, walnuts into hanging strawberries, lace into wreaths. And our own garland, popcorn and cranberries...I hung onto these decorations until they fell apart.
But this year...it's my pink and white BARBIE tree. I'll post pics on my blog...jesusingeorgia.blogspot.com.
right after Thanksgiving.
Love, Mom

Ann-Marie said...

omigosh!!! I totally remember those trees, especially the clothespin reindeers. Yes! I so want those.

Reflections...

Reflections...
I wonder what they are deep in thought about!

Sweet Baby

Sweet Baby
Mary Ellen wore this dress for Baby Dedication. She also wore this the day she came home from the hospital.